Sunday, October 5, 2014

On Wedding Shoes... To Splurge or to Purge?

You might be reading this post because you are a bride and in a dilemma if you will buy the shoes of your dreams that will cost you more than an arm and a leg or go economical by sticking to a generic brand. Or maybe you are just a regular reader curious about how much stress you have to go through when becoming a bride.

Whichever you are, this post will give you an insight about my own experience about choosing my wedding shoes. Being a bride in itself is stressful enough already and choosing every piece of your bridal wardrobe can sometimes become a tad bit overwhelming for a soon-to-be Mrs. So and so. 

When I had my wedding last year it took me a long time to decide which shoes I would wear  on my wedding day. I was caught inbetween getting the shoes of my dreams that will blow our budget out of proportion or keep it simple for us not to be robbing a bank! lol 

I was actally deciding between buying a Christian Louboutin vs a Badgley Mischka which was like comparing apples to oranges. Tsk tsk. There was absolutely no comparison to those two brands and of course the Louboutin hands down was my favorite. But buying it was just not practical... period. However, if you have an overflow of budget then why not? Unfortunately, I did not really have an unlimited budget, but the idea of wearing a red sole on my wedding day was just too much to pass. Anyway, where else can you get to have an excuse to wear an expensive pair of shoes but on a special day like your wedding where you feel the most beautiful! Right?!

To cut my story short I ended up with the red sole. Why? Because I simply cannot stop obsessing over it all through the night and day! lol. But did I regret it? Or was it really worth it? Honestly, I feel both. 

This is the actual Christian Louboutin shoes I wore during my wedding.

I regret buying the red sole simply because I felt guilty buying a very expensive piece on top of our overwhelming wedding expenses. At the same time, I feel like it was worth it because I know that never in my entire life will I ever buy that kind of shoes again (esp later when babies come and mortgage payment will become a part of our daily living) and it only reminds me that the event was special enough to wear a pair of shoes that can literally make you rob a bank.

The sad part was that I was not able to use that red sole at church because I just could not trust myself not to trip over my wedding dress. I just felt that those skyhigh heels just cannot support my wobbly legs during my bridal march so I decided to wear another pair, anyway, it won't be seen underneath my voluminous wedding skirt. Despite breaking in those shoes a couple of times, making sure I can rock those heels under my dress, in the end I got so anxious that I lost the confidence to wear it.  Why haven't I thought about it before deciding on my wedding shoes in the first place? Bummer! Oh well, at least I have the photos to prove that I wore it on my wedding day and I guess that should be enough (or is it, really?! lol).

             Shot with the red sole!

If I were to redo my wedding, I think I will go with the Badgley Mischka and save myself some money on other things for the wedding. But it all depends on the bride. If you feel that your dress will never be complete without that much coveted rob-the-bank kind of shoes and you have the budget for it, then I say go ahead girl and go splurge yourself with that dream pair of shoes. But if your budget is really tight, nothing could really go wrong if you get a pair that is just right on your budget. Anyway, that shoes will only be worn inside that wedding dress and nobody really can see it unless you pick up your skirt!

Whatever shoes you wear on your wedding always go back to why you have this celebration in the first place. It doesn't matter what shoes you wear, what dress you pick or what type of food you eat. What matters most will be the memory that you get to celebrate this wedding with the people you love and start your life with the man of your dreams. And if until this point you still  can't decide which shoes to wear, I say choose the shoes that would make you feel very comfortable and confident. Choose something that you can actually walk on, run with and dance the night away with a very reasonable pricetag! 



No comments:

Post a Comment